08 December, 2008

Sicily

Happy Immaculate Conception! Do you say that for December 8? No idea. Lol. It's kind of exciting, because I haven't had Catholic holidays off since high school, and all of the sudden, they're back! It's crazy, three years ago today I was off school, my senior year, and Mom and I went to Mizzou on a college visit. And it snowed like crazy and I SWEAR I almost lost a hand to frostbite. And here I am...lol. I just returned this morning from Sicily, which is the little country (technically part of Italy, even if many of them won't claim it) that the boot is kicking. Love it!

Sicily is absolutely stunning. Every one of my posts starts out that way, but I just couldn't believe it! And no one goes there. It was impossible to find a hostel; we just had to stay in cheap hotels. I, sadly, met no mafia members, but there's always next time! I got to see a lot of older, Bourbon era art and churches (Sicily was once a part of the Bourbon empire, ruled by France. Also previously ruled by Spain, the Byzantines, the Romans, the goths, you name 'em. It was kind of strange. Palermo, the first place I went, with my friends, is a lot like Napoli, I thought. Except cleaner and somewhat safer. Though I was only in the town center. Saturday I went to Trapani, on the west coast, and visited this old Greek-founded town on a small mountain, Erice. It was gorgeous, with amazing views of the sea on three sides. That night I stayed in Trapani, and tried the next day to go to another historical location, called Selinunte, further south on the coast. Sadly, I got to the city which accesses Selinunte, and the buses weren't running there. I was upset, but there was nothing to be done. So I was stuck, and ended up taking trains for most of the day to get back to Palermo. Technically somewhat of a waste of a day, but I got to see the lovely countryside and the coast, all along the north. There were people surfing! And Mom says it was 16 degrees at home this weekend. Blows my mind!

One of about 50 attempts to document my visit. There's got to be an easier way, lol.

The countryside from the hill. It was amazing, waiting at the train station the next day, I could see the valleys sloping up and then the hills. It was like this, just in reverse.

The coast from Erice. The town was excessively small, to the point where I covered it in about an hour and a half. Perfect for a day trip!

No comments: