06 September, 2008

Assisi & Perugia

So it's the end of the first week, and I finally have some free time! Since I got here I've been going and going, with meetings and orientation for my program every day, all day. Yesterday morning we left for a short, overnight trip to Assisi and Perugia. Assisi is absolutely stunning. There's very little there and hardly a reason to visit except for the fact that it's the hometown of St. Francis and St. Clare (for those of you who are familiar with the saints), so it's very small and spiritual. Everything is pink and white limestone, and it's very clean, pretty much the opposite of Rome, lol. I'll hopefully have pictures posted here or on facebook pretty soon. It was a really nice day with beautiful scenery, and then this morning we left for Perugia. Perugia is very quaint and historical as well, with architecture dating back to the Etruscans (pre-Roman era). It's lovely, the ways they've found to integrate the old buildings and monuments into modern times. For example, one of the old aqueducts is now a really cool walkway above the city. Right now I'm just laying around back at the apartment, and I think my host family is away. I don't know what I'll end up doing tonight, but tomorrow I might try to walk to the catacombs. I'm loving the city right now! The trip was great, but I was so glad to get back, even though I was only gone for a day. Ciao!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

heyy this is AWESOME!! thanks for sending me the link!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsey....Carol here...
Thanks for asking your dad to call me with the info. I am so excited to hear about your adventures!!
Take Care!